Hoary 5.04 Bootsplash

Charlie Lewis clewis4 at hot.rr.com
Mon Apr 18 19:53:17 UTC 2005

Upgraded a couple of machines from Hoary Preview to 5.04 about a week ago and
having really good results with them.

Decided this morning to go on and do a new kernel for one and go on and put a
bootsplash on it.

Got the linux-source-2.6.10 with the Ubuntu patches from repository, the
kernel-patch-boot-splash, I believe, from the Debian repository at
bootsplash.de and applied it. Patched the kernel, did my config and compiled
and installed it, installed the other necessary packages, bootsplash,
sysv-rc-bootsplash and the boot-splash-theme-ubuntu, did my initrd.img stuff
and rebooted and got...

a blank console from grub loading to display manager. ;-(

Whoops! Where had I seen this before with a 2.6.10 kernel? Why it was on one
the first 2.6.10 kernels that Debian debianized in Sid! There had been a
change made in vesafb.c from the original vanilla source from kernel.org that
borked it. A bug was filed, Debian made the change in a later release of the
deb kernel sources and fixed it.

Okay. There had been a couple of scripts and instructions posted around on the
web to fix the debianized vesafb.c but the best suggestion and fix I'd found
until the fix showed up in Debian's 2.6.10...

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/01/msg00231.html

was to replace vesafb.c with the one from the vanilla kernel at kernel.org.

Anyway, any you guys or gals trying to get a boot splash up and going on your
5.04 with the 2.6.10 default release kernel and kernel source who don't want
to go messing around rewriting your own vesafb.c might consider just using
the vesafb.c extracted out of a vanilla 2.6.10 source from kernel.org.

I extracted one this morning after I got the blank console and realized what
has happened put it in place and recompiled and reinstalled and stuff and she
came up just beautiful, working progress bar and all kind of purty stuff.

I reckon if that is all I can find to complain about, I'll just have to stick
with Hoary 5.04. ;-)

Charlie