Hoary upgrade killed my Ubuntu?

John Ughrin jughrin at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 15:07:07 UTC 2005

Well, as noted in another post, upgrading to Hoary
went not so well. The immediate consequence was
killing X. I think my fingers will be typing "sudo
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" in my sleep. All to no
avail. I don't even know _why_ X is failing. It seems
to be going great, then the screen flickers, and
nvidia logo flips past and then a blank screen. The
blank screen gets followed by a bunch of cryptic
notation, (the linux equivalent of the BSOD?) then the
system hangs.

At least it used to. The last reboot halted when it
checked the filesystem and declared that is had
duplicate of bad blocks being used....great. I'm not
really surprised, I figured all the hard reboots would
eventually do something like that. Anyway, is there
anything to do other than a complete re-install?

I had thought the "pciehp" errors during hotplug
initialization might be a solution, but web advice
indicates not so. My system:
AMD 950Mhz
~1 Gig of RAM
onboard nvidia Nforce graphics
onboard nvidia Nforce sound
K7N420Pro mobo
um...USB...

The only thing I can figure to cause the grief is the
video driver/chip, but I've tried either driver (nv or
nvidia), and neither helps.

Is it possible to "roll back" somehow, or is my Ubuntu
installation wrecked totally?

P.S. If your suggestion involves using a command-line
text editor, please include information on how to
actually save the file you are editing. The help
information on both emacs and vi is amazingly
unhelpful.

==
"Faith without works is nothing,
 works without faith is still...ah...pretty good."
Jon Stewart, _The Daily Show_ 1/18/2005