Kubuntu experience

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 18 14:08:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 23:20 +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:38, Peter Garrett wrote:
> > On the other hand, the completely new user is not
> > aware of such powerful possibilities, at least until he/she learns to
> > read man pages, or is directed by a more experienced user. For such a
> > user, the constant reminders by requiring a password, that the level
> > of power is changing, are salutary, for obvious reasons. They are
> > also less likely to fall into the trap of forgetting they are running
> > as root.
>
> I've snipped most of your post because I surrender!  :-)

No need to surrender - it isn't a Holy War - it's been fun, though ;-) I
guess one nice thing about the Ubuntu list is that we can have a robust
discussion without flaming each other...er ..umm... Most of the time
*grin*

I hadn't seen James's excellent post before sending my epistle, or I
would have left it at that.

> I'm happy with my warty/kde setup and will shortly set up anther system,
> this time with hoary/kde amd I'm sure that will work fine, too.
>
> Kubuntu seems not to be so kind (assuming nothing went wrong with my
> installation from the kubuntu iso/CD).  Offering me an app (k3b) with a
> vital piece missing (cdrdao) isn't nice.

True, it seems odd that this piece went missing!

Kubuntu is still very young: give it a chance ...
(I'm not running it , by the way, in case you thought I was a fanboy !
But I think it's a good development...)

> --
> Regards,
> Brian