ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 8, Issue 326

John Ughrin jughrin at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 12:10:06 UTC 2005

> From: Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: urm...upgraded to Hoary Synaptic Gone?
> To: Ubuntu Help and User Discussions
> <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> On Sun, 2005-17-04 at 20:24 -0700, John Ughrin
> wrote:
> > So I upgraded to Hoary using the CD option...and
> when
> > I rebooted, Synaptic isn't here. Is this
> normal...is
> > there a replacement GUI package manager?
>
> that wouldn't happen if the "ubuntu-desktop"
> metapackage was installed
> before the upgrade.
>
> To install synaptic, just do "sudo apt-get install
> synaptic" from the
> command line.

okay, did that. Changed all the repositories and
basically did the apt-get upgrade thing. Many changes
ensued, including...Ubuntu is broken:
First reboot: X couldn't start and I had to log in at
the command line. Reran X's config
Second reboot: ditto
Third reboot: got to point where X should load and
screen goes black.
Fourth and on: ditto, but sometimes a little white bar
(like a cursor) appears at the top left of screen.

Note: during boot, hotplug apparently has some
problem.  It gives two error messages about "pciehp"
as a kernel driver failing.

Suggestions? I'm rather new to Linux.

==
"Faith without works is nothing,
 works without faith is still...ah...pretty good."
Jon Stewart, _The Daily Show_ 1/18/2005