Kubuntu experience

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Mon Apr 18 08:52:58 UTC 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:01, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
> sudo passwd
>
> pick your password, and from now on you can use root as you have ever
> done.

You are not the only person to tell me how to produce a password for
root.  I _know_ that!  :-)

I am preparing this message on warty, which I have changed by
downloading KDE, which is my default operating environment.  My
personal password would not work in kde apps (eg kpackage) so I created
a root password and have no further trouble.

Kubuntu will not respond sensibly.  I can set up a root password OK.
Kynaptic will not respond to EITHER password - mine or root's.
Aptitude recognises MY password but not root's.  Root Konsole
recognises root's password but not mine (which is at least, as it
should be).  ie this sudo nonsense - rather than the standard root plus
personal account - has caused me grief.  WHY not leave well enough
alone, Mr Kubuntu?

--
Regards,
Brian