Printer Sharing Problem

hagen news4didascali at gmx.net
Mon Apr 18 05:31:34 UTC 2005

Nearly a similar problem within my network...

I configured my printer (parallel) with cups on a local machine
("server"). It is working locally.

When I installed the linux magazine ubuntu rc-version of ubuntu, my
little network worked fine, the laptop registered the printer at the
server automatically - no problems.

Now, after an upgrade and a new installation, printer is not working
anymore for the laptop. Since one week, nothing but problems.

The printer is invisible for the laptop. If I want to configure under
Gnome, I'm able to change params, but nothing happens, when I try to
print a testpage.

Configuring the printer on the laptop under KDE is also without success:
Some days ago, I got a message while configuring, that I get no
connection on port 631. The last days, KControl hangs up, when it wants
initialising the printer system.

If I want to configure the printer on the server (editing cups.conf),
the system does not find a cups server anymore.

I read the cups docu and several debian docus. Normaly, the
server-printer should be identified automatically by the laptop.

Why is it not possible to configure cups usin the browser interface?

Thxs for your help..

P.S.: I posted this problem 10 days ago with no feedback, is nobody
using ubuntu as a printserver?