Sound problems Hoary

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 01:36:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 19:16 -0500, Tom Adelstein wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 15:43 -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> > > I'm new to this list, but not to Linux. I've read the previous postings
> > > and searched on this topic. I didn't want to bust in blind.
> > >
> > > I have a SIS Audio card that works with various other versions and
> > > distributions of Linux. But like others, I'm getting no sound from my
> > > installation of Ubuntu Hoary. I have even used Skype with Xandros, Red
> > > Hat Enterprise desktop, Fedora Core III and Novell Linux Desktop on this
> > > computer. (Same computer). I test and write reviews of Linux distros for
> > > LJ.
> > >
> > > I'm starting to think that the hardware browser has a problem and/or
> > > something is broken in the distribution.
> >
> > which type of audio card?  some of us have problems with the SiS 7012 in Hoary:
>

> My mistake. Its a C-Media AC97.
>
> I'll go back and read the previous posts related to those.
>
> Thanks.

Oopps - I may have made a mistake. The chip reports itself as a SIS on
Ubuntu and Fedora Core 3 but it doesn't give me the model. The reference
material says AC-97.

The Fedora Core 3 works fine and uses a snd-intel8x0 driver.

I installed another distro with a similar kernel. That distro (FC3) uses
snd-intel8x0 as the driver and it works well.