ubuntu goes prime-time in US

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Apr 17 18:10:21 UTC 2005

> Hi Vince!
>
> Could you describe exactly the settings you chose? I used to have these
> "bold" fonts with debian sarge, then with one upgrade the were unbolded
> again. I actually _like_ the bolded fonts, I find then I can even read
> test without my glasses on ;) I hoped ubuntu would be like that by
> default, but no. I haven't been able to get them that way again...

Sorry, I have no idea how I broke it, and not sure how I got it back to
normal either... just trila and error and some luck I guess.
However if you just go to the Fonts preference dialog in Gnome, and
select "Bold" for all the fonts, it looks about the same. Give it a
try...

If still not happy, then try to break it like I did by accident, with
"dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig". ISTR there were 3 questions:

1) LCD / sub pixel
2) Bitmap fonts by default
3) Hinting

Just answer No the the third one, might do it. If not, repeat until it's
"broken" ;o)  I manage to break it the first time by accident, so
hepofully you will be as "succesful" ! ;o)

> I had a cheapish 17" CRT, and now have a mid-range 17" LCD. The
> difference in font contrast/sharpness is astounding...

Yeah, I could be tempted by LCD panels, especially for the much lower
radiaton level, which is important as I spend so much time, the nose
sticked to the monitor. But sadly, I have yet to find an LCD with a
picture quality that suits me, and even if I find one, the "dead pixel"
issue is a show-stopper. I read about a few new technologies for for
flat screens, that maybe or may not address these issues, but it will
take 5 or 10 years before they are mature and prices drop. So in the
meantime, I don't have much choice by stick with CRT monitors.

--
Vince