struggling with dhcp3-server

Peter Simpson ubuntu at petethetree.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 11:30:03 UTC 2005

On Sunday 17 Apr 2005 05:09, Matt Price wrote:
> hey ubuntu,
>
> I'm having a terrible time getting dhcp3-server to work.
>
> Hoary is installed on the server, which has only one funcitoning
> ethernet device, eth0.  Tha'ts fine for now because internet is down
> anyway -- all I've got is LAN!
>
> In /etc/network/interfaces I put this:
> iface eth0 inet static
>       address 192.168.2.30
> #      address 192.168.1.0 (have tried various with no succcess; if I
> 			   use this particular address eth0 won't even
> 			   come up)
>       netmask 255.255.255.0
>       broadcast 192.168.2.255
>       gateway 192.168.2.1
>
> in /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf I put this:
> option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
> option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
> option routers 192.168.1.254;
> option domain-name-servers 192.168.2.1;
> option domain-name "mydomain.org";
>
> subnet 192.168.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>    range 192.168.2.10 192.168.2.100;
>    range 192.168.2.150 192.168.2.200;
>       }
>
> In neither case do I really truly know what I am doing.  After much
> trouble dhcp now starts, but when I try to connect using my laptop
> (routed through a hub that I know works well) the connection is not
> made successfully.
>
> is there a failsafe configuration I could try that would help mew ith
> troubleshooting?
>
> thanks much,
>
> matt

> Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
> History Department, University of Toronto
> (416) 978-2094
>
> The following addresses are for you if you're an evil spambot:
> zeus at derailleur.org aardvark at derailleur.org

Hi.

The first thing to comment on is that the reason that the address ending in
zero does not work is because that not a host address, it is a network
address and you cannot assign that to your interface.

The second thing to mention is that you appear to be utilising two different
subnets (i.e. networks). These are 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x

Thirdly, when you say "connection is not made successfully" what do you mean:
do you men that DHCP is not responding, that static network is not existant
or that you cannot get any traffic to pass through ?

It might be worth reading a small intro to TCP/IP before going too much
further as I would not want you to become disappointed by going up too many
dead ends.

Searching Google for "tcp intro" seems to give a few valid results. Please
understand what subnets are before going too much further and you will find
the rest a whole lot easier.

FYI: here are the relevant parts of mine:

### START
# If this DHCP server is the official DHCP server for the local
# network, the authoritative directive should be uncommented.
authoritative;

# only allow one address for each machine
one-lease-per-client true;

# option definitions common to all supported networks...
option domain-name "inside.network";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
deny client-updates;

default-lease-time 3600;
max-lease-time 7200;

# Use this to send dhcp log messages to a different log file (you also
# have to hack syslog.conf to complete the redirection).
log-facility local7;

# specify the DNS server update bits
zone inside. {
        primary 192.168.0.1;
};

zone 0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. {
        primary 192.168.0.1;
};

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
        option routers 192.168.0.1;
        range 192.168.0.150 192.168.0.200;
};