ethernet confusion...

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Sun Apr 17 02:56:50 UTC 2005

hi folks,

m trying to get a second NIC to work as eth1 in a box I am setting up
as, among other things, a dhcp server.  Having a spot of trouble...

The card seems to work and the green light comes on when I plug in a
cable; and I have the following (more or less random) stanzas in
/etc/network/interfaces:
auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet static
      address 192.168.2.30
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      broadcast 192.168.2.255
      gateway 192.168.2.1

auto eth1

iface eth1 inet static
      address 192.168.0.1
      netmask 255.255.255.0
      broadcast 192.168.0.255
      gateway 192.167.2.1

when I try "ifup eth1" I get this:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Failed to bring up eth1.

ifconfig eth1 gives :
eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found

Looked in /var/log/syslog, and found only this:
Apr 16 22:08:32 localhost kernel: isapnp: Card 'Plug & Play Ethernet
Card'
indicating perhaps the card had in fact been recognized, but maybe not
assigned a device?

anyway, any hints?  I'm running Hoary on an old Dell Optiplex GX1
(P-III 450mHz).

thanks v. much,
matt

 .''`.       Matt Price