Please help, I'm out of options (GLX errors)

david nux at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 12:44:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 20:06 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> For over 8 hours now I've been banging my head against this bloody PC.
> I can't find ANYTHING that makes a difference, all the scouring of the
> nvidia forums, the ubuntu forums the mail list archives.. I've tried
> all sorts of things, new kernel, symbolic links to modules,
> reinstalling packages.
> I even asked for help for hour in IRC with no results. (managed to fix
> someone else's though :-P )
> I'm running hoary, with the k7 kernel and a nvidia 5600 (NV31) card.
> If I try to run anything 3d I get this
> $ glxgears
> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual.
>
> Screen savers (GL ones) don't work as well.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything at all to help me fix this thing?
> --
> Ubuntu Hoary 5.04
> "The thing Ubuntu means to me is, I'm glad I didn't get a Debian
> Tattoo..." - Matthew Lambie

I know you've already posted on this but I didn't follow the thread so
apologies if this is an already tried suggestion.
Have you tried the drivers from nvidia (both the 7174 or the 7176
builds)?
The 7176 build surprised me because it was the first release that I got
to actually work with a 2.6 kernel. (On Mandrake beta releases et al).

nux