Kubuntu experience

Vincenzo Di Massa hawk78_it at yahoo.it
Sat Apr 16 12:21:01 UTC 2005

Alle 03:29, sabato 16 aprile 2005, Daniel Robitaille ha scritto:
> > The number and variety of apps is so diminished as to be worrying.
> > kappfinder is NOT listed - I just knew it had to be there - but it finds
> > litte more.
> >
> > No Firefox, no emacs, no gnumeric (because it's gnome?) no abiword (same
> > reason?).  You have kate, but not kwrite or kedit.  Why not a single
> > game?  No xmms or xine, no kuickshow, no gimp.  So it goes on...
>
> have you tried to installed any of these applications?  they are all a
> few mouse clicks away from being available if they were not installed
> during the installation.

The main problem about ubuntu-kubuntu (gmone-kde in ubuntu) is menu setup
IMHO.
If you install kde the menu in kde looks nice, but awfull in gnome (no icons,
many missing apps)... The same if you do the opposite: if you have Gnome
installed and you add kde to the system, in kde you end up with almost
useless menus.

What ubuntu-kubuntu is missing is a coordination of menu structure, and decide
if:
1) use different menu layouts
2) use the same layout in kde and gnome putting everyrthing toghether
3) show a kde-menu submenu in gnome menu (and vice versa)
3) use the same layout, but disabling/hiding unuseful entries (kcontrol could
be disabled in gnome menu)
4) use debian menu system to automatize the whole thing.

Anyway... I'm attaching my /etc/xdg/menu/applications.menu file.
It works well with kde. In gnome it is a proper mess!

Ciao
Vincenzo