Hoary upgrade gdm gone

David Hart ubuntu at tonix.org
Sat Apr 16 12:20:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 08:06:26PM +0800, rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:

> I just upgraded my desktop pc from warty to hoary:
>
> 1 changed sources.list to point to hoary
> 2 apt-get update
> 3 apt-get upgrade
> 4 apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Well, gdm vanished. And xorg wasn't installed. I have no gui. I did
> the same on my laptop with no problems. Anybody have this problem?
> Anybody have any ideas where to start to get my gui back?  :)

I had this happen on a friend's box that I upgraded last week.

For some reason that I didn't have time to pursue further, I found that
aptitude did find the remaining packages and everything worked perfectly
after that.  (Just as well as I was upgrading the box remotely over a
hundred miles away.)

BTW, I believe line 3 above is redundant

--
David Hart <ubuntu at tonix.org>