Grub problem after hibernate

Tomas Krag tt at krag.org
Fri Apr 15 08:34:51 UTC 2005

Hi,

I upgraded from Warty to Hoary on an IBM thinkpad x31, and everything
seems to be working really well.

I tested hibernate and it both hibernated and resumed well, but ever since
I have had an issue with grub.

I thought I ran into the oft mentioned hibernate bug, because after resume
it seemed that my swap partition was not being used, even though
/proc/swap seemed to contain the right info. So I ran
# swapoff /dev/hda7
# mkswap /dev/hda7
# swapon /dev/hda7

which seems to resolve the swap issue, but
When I boot, I get a brief flicker of text
saying GRUB.....
then about 10 seconds of an _ cursor blinking in the top right corner,
followed by a screen-full of garbled ascii characters, and then it boots
straight into my newest ubuntu kernel.

In other words, while ubuntu works fine, it has effectively stopped me
from being able to access my windows partition as I never get a grub menu
up.

Any ideas?

regards

/tomas