Gnome "tooltips" : any control over them ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Apr 14 22:29:40 UTC 2005

Tooltips look cute, but most of the time they show up when unwanted, and
get in the way.
Is there anyway to disable them, or at least specifiy a longer time
out/delay before they appear ?

I searched Gconf for "tooltip". It returned many keys, but only one of
them seemed interesting:  /apps/panel/global/tooltips_enabled

It allows to turn the tooltips off, but only for the Gnome panels, not
system wide, so not much use. Plus, I un checked the box, and the
tooltips still show up on gnome panels...

Any idea ? Is it really hard coded, like the Metacity window animation
(another thing I would like to turn off....) ??

While I am at it, I would like to turn all the "pre-raise" and
"pre-light" feature in Gtk, how can do that ?
Setting "prelight" to "normal" in the gtkrc  helps, but not completely
(e.g issues with the buttons in the task bars)

Any help welcome... :-)

--
Vince