Ubuntu is not live-booting in OZ

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Thu Apr 14 16:12:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 09:08 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> Hello, fellow humans,
>
> My friend in OZ has received his CD set.  Here's what he had to say:
>
> "...Went through innumerable lines of incomprehensible jargon and stuff.
> Some of the lines were in very basic colours which made a nice change.
> After some weeks the CD-ROM went very quiet and I had a perfectly black
> screen. This is such an improvement over Windows. There is no doubt that
> I am now safe from virusses and other nasties, no spam will reach me.
> After gazing at this wonder for some time, I just had to go back into
> Windows so I could let everyone know about the wonders of Linux. Please
> excuse me now, I am going back to that wondrous black screen and the
> keys which have no effect. No doubt I shall receive the wisdom of the
> universe through the exercise of Zen Computing.
>
> Perhaps a glass or two of an Australian Merlot will aid in the getting
> of that wisdom."

It sometimes helps. Sometimes makes things worse :-)

> He's really a nice guy despite his propensity toward sarcasm.

Quite understandable being an Aussie myself.

> Not being an Acer guy nor a laptop guy, I find I must ask you fine
> people if any of you have any clues to help a poor far-away friend in
> need.  How can he get his live CD to boot correctly?

Is this a warty CD? I've never had much luck with the live CD on any
system. Do you have a model number for his Acer laptop. Seems like X is
failing to initialize which has been the major issue I have had with the
warty live CD. Possible issue with the video chip.

> Cybe

Michael Hunt