How to speed up startup?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Apr 13 20:39:55 UTC 2005

> The system startup takes a very long time. In particular, hotplug
> takes about 20 seconds to finish on my box, while takes several
> seconds on my roommate's.

Don't go complain ! Hotplug takes over a minute on my machine !!!
As far as I can see, it's mainly du to the SCSI system that takes long
to respond, and more specifically, it seems to be that old AGFA scanner
that takes forever to initialize :-/
Well, boot time is pretty much irrelevant anyway, as either you don't
reboot the machine at all, or reboot it in the morning but go to the loo
while it's booting, so it's ready when you are done, and if you have a
laption, you never reboot either (once the "hibernate" feature works
reliably on all machines ie... ;o).
So I don't really see boot time as a problem, as long as it stays within
"reasonable" limits, say 3 minutes max.

> The hardware are almost the same powerful, on some degree, my hardware
> is more powerful than his.

I don't think "power" has anything to here.... My Athlon XP 1700+ board
doesn't take any longer to bring up, than my ancient Pentium 200MMX
board did, when I dared to install Ubuntu on it a few month ago ;o)

--
Vince