World Domination?

Philippe Landau lists at mailry.net
Wed Apr 13 19:26:14 UTC 2005

Michele Ravani wrote:
> Is so hard to believe that somebody who made more money he is likely to
> be able to spend in his whole life by the age of 26 (or around it), can
> pump a few millions in a project which is likely to make a difference
> (think of Africa)?
> He spent more to take a walk in space ...
>
> May be Ubuntu will become a commercially sound project or may be not.
> I don't think this is the point for Shuttleworth, Call me naive, but I
> prefer to believe that there are still people which being in the
> position to do something positive, they will do it without afterthoughts.
>
> In any case, we are taking profit of the project and if their aim is to
> take over the world's desktop, so be it. It would be an improvement on
> the current situation in any case, at least on the way there.
>
> Ubuntu isn't a joke. It is a true alternative for those which have a few
>  choices and those which are worried about all the major distros being
> bought up by big corporations.
> It seems that we are not alone with this worry, as DistroWatch
> statistics seem to confirm ...
yes, there definitely is a power struggle going on.
a rush for future dominance in a crucial market about to emerge.
dominate the desktop and you dominate
the media and communications of the future.
that is where the power lies.
fascism is based on controlling communication and propaganda.
it was always funded and driven by corporations like IBM.

> Philippe, as somebody in the thread said, you are excommunicating yourself.
a community welcomes critical views.
a cult excommunicates people articulating them.

> If you don't like the sugar coating, move to another distro.
i like sugar coating.
i like other distros.
i wanted Ubuntu to be a good distro too.

> May be you are right, maybe it is just sugar coating, but it doesn't
> have to be there for us to choose Ubuntu and we don't have to eat it if
> it is given to us. This is the basic idea, to have a choice ...
we are beginning to have a choice.
if we are careful, we will have one in the future too.

> ... you could start your own distro and talk about the reasons for it
> being true choice, no frills, no dogmas. It wouldn't take a long time
> for somebody coming up with similar criticisms you are posting here.
the criticism becomes pointed not because Ubuntu is full of
bugs and fundamental design errors,
but because of the power structure driving it
and the attitude it imposes on a community
increasingly being shaped into a cult.

> Take care
you too, great to have you here.

kind regards     philippe