How to speed up startup?

Oliver Grawert hostmaster at grawert.net
Wed Apr 13 14:29:39 UTC 2005

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 13.04.2005, 15:11 +0100 schrieb R Kimber:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:46:11 +0100
> Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:37:36PM +0800, Shixin Zeng wrote:
> > > The system startup takes a very long time. In particular, hotplug
> > > takes about 20 seconds to finish on my box, while takes several
> > > seconds on my roommate's.
> > > The hardware are almost the same powerful, on some degree, my
> > > hardware is more powerful than his. So I can't understand why my
> > > hoary startup is much slower than his. The possible significant
> > > difference is: My box, sid(installed 2 years ago)->warty->hoary;
> > > and his, warty->hoary.
> >
> > Did you install the ubuntu-base package, including grepmap?
>
> How may one do that without removing exim?
ubuntu uses postfix, so thats what ubuntu-base installs by default, its
only important that ubuntu-base is once installed in the upgrade
process. it wont purge your existing exim configuration, so you can
safely reinstall exim after the upgrade (which indeed will remove the
ubuntu-desktop metapackage again).

ciao
	oli