Copying CDs with graveman

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 12:20:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 03:04 -0400, Buffalo Soldier wrote:
> Tony Arnold Wrote:
> > I've been playing around with graveman on my Hoary system. I started off
> > with only a single CD-ROM drive and decided to add a second drive so
> > that I could easily copy CDs. I especially want to copy audio CDs.
> >
> > The second drive is /dev/hdb and is a 52x Samsung CD-ROM drive, dated
> > 2001!
> >
> > My writeable drive is a Sony DVD+RW new drive on /dev/hda.
> >
> > graveman detectd these drives correctly, however, when I ask it to copy
> > a CD from hdb to hda, it asks me to load a CD in the Samsung drive. I
> > load the CD and, if it's audio, it starts playing, but graveman never
> > detects that the CD has ben loaded. Similarly for data CDs.
> >
> > If I set the source drive to be the Sony on hda, then graveman does
> > detect the loading of CDs into that drive. graveman then gives an error
> > when it attempts to read the audio CD, but that's another problem.
> >
> > So has anyone done this successfully with a similar combination of
> > drives? Do I need a newer CD-ROM drive on hdb? Any ideas?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Tony.
> I think whenever you add a new CD drive you to make Graveman scan and
> detect the new device. What I would do is make sure *both CD drives are
> empty* and start Graveman and then go to:
>
> File -> Preferences -> Devices -> Scan again for devices

That bit works fine! It's when I start the copy operation and it asks to
load a CD that it never realises the CD is loaded, i.e., the dialogue
box asking me to load the CD stays on the screen for ever.

I've discovered a way to duplicate audio CDs. Rip the original to Ogg
using Sound Juicer and then use Graveman to write the tracks. I had to
limit the write speed to 4x for it to work though.

Regards,
Tony.
Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold