Sharing a printer

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Wed Apr 13 04:43:24 UTC 2005

piltdown wrote:
> Purely Linux network. I want to share a printer to all the other Linux
> PCs. I have changed the relevant entries in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf as per
> the instructions on the Wiki:
>
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> But I don't know what to do next! How do I set-up each individual PC to
> print? I assume I go to System-Administration-Printers, then select New
> Printer-Network Printer-Cups Printer(IPP). But how do I find out the URL
> that has to be entered? Hovering the mouse over the text field provides
> several examples, but none seem to work.
>
> I guess I missing some fundamental step.
>
> Thanks

I just went through this a couple of days ago.

My printer, an HP DeskJet, is connected via parallel port to a machine
at 192.168.1.10.  For the remote computers I use the URI:
ipp://192.168.1.10/printers/DeskJet-722C

The last part of the URI (DeskJet-722C) is the printer name.

I hope this helps,
Larry