[Solved] Re: Bug? mail threading of IMAP folders in evolution

Rich Rudnick nickrud at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 12 22:14:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 17:04 -0400, Michael R Head wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 11:27 -0700, Rich Rudnick wrote:

> > > Maye threading is toggled off (CTRL-T or View->Threaded message list),
> > > this setting is stored per-folder.
> >
> > Nope, not that. It threads, just not more than 1 deep, no matter how
> > many references in the header.
>
> It may be a problem with the newly rewritten imap client code. When
> you go to Edit/Preferences, what protocol do you have selected for
> your account? If it's imap4, that's the new code. It's threading
> capabilities aren't as good as the older "imap" code.
>
> If this is the case for you, just select your account, click "Edit",
> select the "Receiving Email" tab, Select IMAP from the "Server Type"
> dropdown. Then just click OK and Close. Threading should work better.
>
> There's also a "subject-based threading" feature that threads when
> other techniques fail. You can disable it to see if that's what's
> threading your messages for you. It's in the "Mail Preferences."  and
> it's selectable with the "Fall back to threading messages by subject"
> checkbox.

That's it! I installed dovecot first, which mentions it's imap4rev1, saw
the problem, changed the server to courier, and never again changed the
server type. A big, fat, blank spot in my thinking (to which I am
accustomed :) Thanks.

And on threading by subject: First, I was aware of it and it made no
difference, and second, if you know who got that check box pushed
through, thank them for me. I used to make the change in share/evolution
which enabled this, but during one of Takuo Kitame's more busy periods I
got more tired of that than broken email.