Oh Boy....

Christoph Wegscheider wegi at despammed.com
Tue Apr 12 17:41:39 UTC 2005

Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> All he says is "ubuntu packages don't work in Debian ".
>
> Cool, where is the problem with that ?
>
> Debian users use Debian repositories, Ubuntu users use the Ubuntu
> repositories, that's what repos are for in the first place, no ?
> If something is not in the distro's repo, you try compile it from
> source, no ?

No, if we are talking of the usual desktop user who have no experience
with Linux and/or programming, but just wants to get work done. This
group of users (which are one typical target group of ubuntu as I
understand) just search the net for a deb of a program which is not in
the repos.

One of the biggest advantage of deb over rpm so far was, that all debs
was created for debian and worked on it and any derived distribution.
Maybe you never experienced the 'rpm hell' on your own so you can't
value that fact.

As it seems now, the deb pool becomes divided into a compatible to debian
and a compatible to ubuntu part, this is a great danger as it might be
the beginning of a deb hell.

> Looks like this Ian Murdock is just pissed off by Ubuntu and it's truly
> incredible, super fast, and boundless success, and is just taking any
> crap excuse to vent his opinion on the net for everyone to read/hear.

Ian just pointed out that fact from a debian point of view (which one
might forgive him, due to his personal relation to that project as its
founder)

	Christoph