grub error 15 after hoary install

David McGaffin david-lists at bigbluesea.org
Tue Apr 12 17:45:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 18:55 -0400, skoal wrote:
> The only thing I would suggest is:
>
> 1. use a grub boot disk.  Maybe you could make one with your good
> laptop grub installation.
> 2. If you don't know how to make one, does the Ubuntu install CD come
> with a recovery mode?  I don't know.
> 3. If not, if you have access to another good linux drive, boot from
> that one and follow/modify the instructions I gave above for the other
> drive (which would be the slave, hdb).

Thanks for these suggestions.  I had just a little time last night to
play with this.  Booting with tomsrtbt, I was able to edit the grub
configuration.  I was trying to turn on debug mode or verbose mode, but
I didn't see any additional information besides the same error message.

I'll try your suggestions tonight.  Frankly, if the grub boot disk
works, I would almost be content, since I almost never reboot this
computer.  I'll let you know if I have any luck.

- david