Oh Boy....

azz ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Apr 12 12:09:37 UTC 2005

Ian Murdoch created debian and that was excellent.  He also made a
business out of free software, and I do not get the impression he is a
poor man; excellent again.

The difference is that Murdoch sees debian packages as the product of a
cummunity that is taken for granted.  This is not necessarily wrong,
because despite it's size, there is excellent structure in Debian.  As
the community grows, differences in opinion take longer to get ironed
out.  This, for example contributes to not being able to get work
done.

Like releasing.  It is not, however, Ubuntu's fault.

I do not think that Debian will ever cease, it just is natural for
certain things to take more time.

Ubuntu, on the other hand takes for granted that the community will
improve the software.  It is the ubuntu community that is cultivated.
That is the difference.

Progeny (and all the other debian based businesses) develop packages as
a business.  Ubuntu develop the community.

--
azz