fstab and mount question [solved, I think]

R Kimber rkimber at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 12 09:33:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:01:03 +0100
R Kimber <rkimber at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:44:02 -0700
> Jim Richardson <warlock at eskimo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 20:13 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> > > In /etc/fstab I have:-
> > >
> > > /dev/sda4       /mnt/pd         ext2    rw,users,noauto  0       0
> > >
> > > whenever I boot up /dev/sda4 is always mounted.  Why is that? Is
> > > there something in the destop environment that is overriding
> > > fstab?  Or is my fstab entry faulty?
> >

> > Is this a USB device? they are typically represented by scsi
> > subsystem, if so, it's possible that the hotplug system is mounting
> > it. --
> > Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
> > Fornication, n.: Term used by people who don't have anybody to screw
> > with.
> >

> Yes, it's USB.
>
> I'm not convinced it's hotplug, as I've used this before and not
> experienced the problem.  I'll have a look at the gnome-volume-
> manager, maybe that's it, as Christian suggested.  I'm relatively new
> to Gnome.

It turns out there's an option in the desktop preferences to mount
removable drives when hotplugged, and this was checked.  I haven't
actually re-booted to test this, but I'm pretty sure that's the answer .

Maybe that's a feature that needs re-thinking.  Perhaps it ought to
check with fstab first to see if noauto is specified.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/