[hoary] - infinite drumming problem - workaround

andrew fries afries at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 12 05:04:21 UTC 2005

andrew fries wrote:
> Basically, when gdm login screen comes up, this looping drumming sound
> starts and never goes away. There is no problem entering user
> name/password in gdm, but the login process gets as far as displaying
> the brown wallpaper, and just hangs there.

well, i haven't found a proper cure, but for the benefit of the
archives, this is how I got around the problem:

- logged in from another virtual console.
- killed gdm with sudo killall gdm
- created an xinitrc file (~/.xinitrc) containing one line:
   exec gnome-session
- started X with startx, got into Gnome
- System -> Preferences -> Sound - unchecked 'Enable sound server startup'
- removed .xinitrc, reboot.
It works now.