Hoary and IIIMF input

janne jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Tue Apr 12 02:40:52 UTC 2005

mån 2005-04-11 klockan 22:00 -0400 skrev Carl Benedict:
> Hello list,
>
> I've recently installed Hoary as a second Linux OS on my machine.  I am
> wondering if there is a .deb package for "gnome-im-switcher", which I
> have also seen referred to as "gimlet".  I've done LOTS of searching via
> Google, and I tried 'apt-cache search', but to no avail.  I even tried
> using alien to convert and install an RPM 'sudo alien foo.rpm -i'.
>
> What I'm trying to achieve is to install the SimpleHangul IIIMF plugin
> [1] for transliterated Korean input.  I was using this under Fedora Core
> 2 by hitting Control + Space to activate it.  I could also select
> "Internet/Intranet Input Method" as an XInput method, so it would work
> with GTK applications as well.  I did install what I believe to be the
> relevant IIIMF packages, though I'm not sure how to check which ones
> without consulting Synaptic.
>
> It is worth noting that I did add the "universe" repository.  Perhaps I
> need to add the "multiverse"?  Does anyone know if these packages exist
> or have any suggestions?

Most people use uim (and SCIM) for their CJK input methods in Ubuntu,
rather than IIIMF. There's some info here (applicable to Korean as
well):

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/JapaneseInputHowto

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden