dist-upgrade ubuntu, network card stops working

Bryan Murdock bmurdock at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 22:52:46 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm a linux newbie, and I need to know how to fix my network card.
OK, not really so new, but I don't think I've ever had to manually fix
or install a network card for Linux, they always just work.  I
upgraded my laptop (thinkpad t20) from ubuntu warty to hoary by
editing my sources and typing 'apt-get
update && apt-get dist-upgrade'.  After that seemed to work smoothly,
I rebooted to bring up the new kernel, and my network card failed to
load.  I ran /sbin/ifup eth0 and it told me:

eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

It said something about sit0, but not having a network connection I
can't cut and paste the whole error message into my email.

Knowing that my ethernet card was a 3com on the PCI bus I typed lspci
and there it was.  lsmod shows the familiar 3c59x.  I modprobed 3c59x
once to be sure and it nothing special happened.

Interestingly, there is no eth0 in modules.conf.  I added an 'alias
eth0 3c59x' to /etc/modutils/networking and ran update-modules.  eth0
is in modules.conf, but still doesn't work.  My
/etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I'm not sure what else to look for.  Any help?

Bryan