New Install - X login with NIS user

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Apr 11 21:17:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 13:38 -0700, Russ Johnson wrote:
> I just installed Hoary, and seem to have difficulty logging in as my
> user account.
>
> The computer with Ubuntu installed is an NIS client on my network.
>
> If I go to a console (alt-f1) I can use this username to log in, no
> problem at all.
>
> If I go to the X login screen, the same name/password combination does
> not work.
>
> The user I created at install works in both places.
>
> I see this in the /var/log/auth.log when I try to log in via X:
> Apr 10 23:17:38 localhost gdm[29616]: (pam_unix) check pass; user unknown
> Apr 10 23:17:38 localhost gdm[29616]: (pam_unix) authentication failure;
> logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=
>
> And when I log in via a console, it reads like this:
> Apr 10 23:15:01 localhost login[23750]: (pam_unix) session opened for
> user russj by LOGIN(uid=0)
>
> I've looked through the files in /etc/pam.d/ and /etc/pam.conf, and
> don't see anything that
>

> The confusing part is that console logins work. X logins don't.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> Russ

Russ,

uid=0 means user "root"

Root login to gnome is disabled by default as far as I know (or should
be)

It appears the system thinks you are root. Perhaps you need to create a
user. Your default user ID should be something like uid=1000

LOGIN runs as user root, so I may be totally wrong here...

When you *are* logged in, what does

echo $UID

say?