Installation report for Acer TravelMate 8100

xander_cdn ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon Apr 11 20:06:16 UTC 2005

Hi! I tried installing both Ubuntu (original CD that was mailed) and
Debian (official testing debian-installer CD) and with both, the system
froze when booting, so I tried linux26 acpi=off as kernel parameters and
it booted fine.

However, when it came to partition the drive, both Ubuntu and Debian
said no drives were detected. I even tried modprobing all the SATA
modules by hand but it still didn't detect anything.

Knoppix did automaticly detect my hard drive as /dev/sda and I was able
to partition it via Knoppix and install Debian with debootstrap.

However, this is a very ugly setup (debootstrap creates a totally
screwed up Debian system) and I would really like to do a proper Ubuntu
installation.

Does anyone have any idea what to do,  or what parameter or module I
can load on the Ubuntu install CD to make it detect my SATA drive?

I have an Acer TravelMate 8103WLMi.

Thanks

--
xander_cdn