Nautilus folder behavior

Bas van der Lei pubmail at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 11 15:41:43 UTC 2005

Michael Nowag wrote:
> geez...it just pisses me off....i rather like the new view..to be
> accurate : I WOULD like it, if it behaved like any rationally thinking
> person expects a file manager to behave when opening a folder. would
> anyone plz tell me why(?!) opening any folder results in a new window
> poping up unpredictably somewhere on the screen(with/without closing the
> original one - depending on the settings) instead off just opening it in
> the same window?! if that isn't possible for some reason, why not using
> the same top-left-coordinates for the new window?!  why can't I open the
> same directory in two seperate windows? how did this new view even make
> it into the new version since it's so unlogical?! are there any hidden
> setings to make it actually useable?!

To make nautilus behave like it did before Spatial (ie Windows This
Computer / Explorer like):

Open nautilus --> Edit --> Prefs --> Behaviour --> Always open in
browser

To get the "old" (read Warty) spatial nautilus back, enter this on the
commandline:

gconftool-2 --set "/apps/nautilus/preferences/no_ubuntu_spatial" --type
"boolean" "true"

Greets,

--
Bas van der Lei