japanese input: let's add it to Ubuntu Starter Guide

Evan Monroig evan.ubuntu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 05:18:15 UTC 2005

Hello Tanizaki,

So I forgot something or didn't explain well... sorry

Did you try the UIM or the SCIM method ?

If it is UIM, when you open Text Editor, and type SHIFT+SPACE (type
SPACE while SHIFT is down), after that you cannot input Japanese? Or
you don't see what it inputs?

Can you try to right-click with your mouse inside the Text Editor ?
There is a "Input Methods" menu. is UIM selected by default ? Or SCIM
? If UIM (or SCIM) is not there, then it means that it was not
installed. If it is not selected by default, then it means that there
is a problem with the file "~/.gnomerc".

You can check for it by opening a terminal (Applications->System
Tools->Terminal) and type

---
echo $XMODIFIERS
echo $GTK_IM_MODULE
---

The results should be "@im=uim" and "uim" (or "@im=scim" and "scim" if
I am right)

If you use SCIM, doesn't a window appear at the bottom-right of your
screen when you press CTRL+SPACE ?

If you use Kubuntu (KDE) instead of Ubuntu (Gnome), then the file
"~/.gnomerc" will not be executed when you login. In this case, can
you try to replace it with "~/.xsession" or "~/.xinitrc" (I don't know
which will work...)

If any of the above works, can you tell what worked for you?

Evan