SATA disc and fstab

Andreas Mussgiller muszilla at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Apr 10 17:46:23 UTC 2005

On Sunday 10 April 2005 15:48, Andreas Mussgiller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after running the various SUSE distros for the last years, I decided
> to switch to ubuntu. Everything works fine so far. However I have
> some trouble with my SATA disc which I use only for data storage.
> During booting the controller is found but not the disc (sda). So
> when the system tries to do the filesystem check on sda it fails.
> Only later sda becomes available. As a work around I made the
> entry for this disc in fstab "user,noauto". Is there a way to make
> my SATA disc visible earlier, so that the filesystem check does not
> fail?

Thanks for the help guys!
Adding the modules to /etc/modules did the job. However, I find it
a bit strange, that during installation, when all modules are loaded
and thus all discs are available, I can make an entry for a SATA disc in
fstab but the installer doesn't add the required modules to either
/etc/modules or the initrd. Shouldn't the installer make sure that
the scripts are setup in such a way that all the discs are available for
the regular boot procedure.

Anrdeas