Sound card change - how do I reconfigure?

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 17:28:40 UTC 2005

At 17:11 10/04/05, Dan wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:43:23AM +0100, Neil Woolford wrote:
> > Simply swapping the cards has given me a system that works, but I
> > don't think it is quite right yet.  The main problem is that when
> > I open the mixer from the Gnome Volume Control I get two mixer tabs,
> > one OSS and one ALSA.  The OSS mixer appears ok, but the ALSA one
> > contains many duplicated entries for controls.  This makes it
> > difficult and confusing to control the sound.
>
>This is by design (a feature not a bug). ALSA's mixer layer is being
>redesigned to be more consistent across the support cards. Both the
>OSS and the ALSA view of the Volume Control drive the same card; one
>uses ALSA's OSS emulation, the other uses ALSA's mixer elements
>directly.

Ah, right, that helps a bit.  Certainly using the controls on either tab has
the effects I'd expect.

I do still have a problem with the ALSA tab though;  when I say many
duplicated
entries, I mean so many that the mixer is unuseable.  For example, where the
OSS mixer has fifteen discrete sections, the ALSA one has around 140 of them,
including at least thirty called EMU10K1 PCM with three sliders on each, and a
similar number of EMU10K1 PCM Send sections with twelve sliders on each.

I can't believe this to be normal.  It certainly isn't useable.  This is
why I feel
that some aspect of my sound installation must be hosed.

Neil