Wireless losing connection in Hoary

Martin Rowe dbg400 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 12:35:01 UTC 2005

> Hey all-
>
> Joined the list a couple weeks ago, seen a lot of great stuff. I am
> currently running K/Ubuntu on a Sony Vaio A170 laptop. Under Warty, the
> Intel Wireless adapter that's onboard worked perfectly. Under Hoary, it
> works, but at some point it just flat out stops working.
[snip]

If your laptop uses the ipw2200 module, then I've a similar problem
with my HP dv1066. I occasionally had a problem with Warty not being
able to load the module, so I tried the 2.6.10-2 kernel from Hoary.
The module then got loaded okay, but the network connection would just
give up, usually within the first 30 minutes after boot up. Now I'm
running full blown Hoary I see the same issue with the 2.6.10-5 kernel
it uses.

My solution is just to drop & reload the ipw2200 module:

$ sudo rmmod ipw2200
$ sudo modprobe ipw2200

which gets the connection going again fine. Once I've done that, the
connection stays stable for the rest of the time the laptop is
running. I've no idea what causes it -I can't find any related error
messages, and lsmod still reports the module being loaded after the
network connection fails. Someone else had the same problem a day or
so ago, and reinserting the module has solved the problem for him too
- maybe worth a try?

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities     \ /