[Wart] Setting up network to access Internet - Newbie - Linz

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 08:58:07 UTC 2005

At 23:42 09/04/05, you wrote:

>I questions from a friend that I am not at a stage to answer yet - both
>newies.

I think part of the problem is a little glitch in Warty, there are *two*
ways to set
up networking and internet connections.

John may be trying to use Applications > System Tools > Network Tools.  This
has many useful tools, but the 'Configure' option on the Device Tab is
effectively
disabled, as it asks for an administrator (root) password, which isn't set
on a
default Ubuntu system.

Instead, he needs to try Computer > System Configuration > Networking.  This
works in the normal Ubuntu manner of permitting the first user (or others with
suitable levels of privilege) to enter their own password and use the tools.

Neil

(Unfortunately there is a caveat;  setting up modem (ppp) connections with this
tool doesn't work well for many people, myself included.  If John wants to
set up
a modem, he may well do better running 'sudo pppconfig' in a terminal.  Not
graphical, but can work well when used with the 'Modem Lights' Gnome applet to
control dialup.)