Suse 9.3 and Ubuntu ??

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Apr 10 04:09:50 UTC 2005

> Is there anyone out there making a cluttered gnome install?  That would
> be difficult I think.

I was more thinking of Mandrake here. I started in hte Linux worl with
Mandrake 9.2.  Gnome there, looked plain ugly, so ugly that I thought
that's the way Gnome is, and I much prefer KDE as a consequence. That
was until I came screenshot on the Gnome site, that show how beautiful
it really looks. From there, I tried hard to make Mandrak'es Gnome to
look like it should. Tired really hard, but no way.
As I spent time on the Gnome forums trying to get help to sort Mandrake
out, I read about Ubuntu. Sounded too good to be true, basically a Gnome
heaven. Installed it, and soon found out that it WAS true, it was indeed
heaven.... :o))))
>From this point, Mandrake was already a thing of the past, I knew I
would never leave Ubuntu, it was my new home sweet home...
But I do thank Manrdrake though, 9.2 was my first Linux distro and it
put me into the Linux world 2 years ago. Sometimes I scare myself, when
I realise that if it wasn't for this friedn who talked me into Mandrake,
I would still be using Win XP today, thinking it's the greatest OS in
the world, thinking that spyware and daily anti-virus update, and ugfly
desktop and so many other things, were the norm and the only way to go !
It is really scary indeed.

> Ummmm, no.  Novell bought Ximian.  That's what 9.3 has such a nice
> polished GNOME desktop.  I hear that the boys over @ Ximian know a thing
> or two about gnome.....

Ah, so that means that from now on, we can now expect Suse to be an
interesting Distro for Gnome lovers ?  Still, 100USD vs. 100% free and
even delivered to your door FOC, hard to beat... should convince all
schools and home/desktop users etc :o)))

> > "I" feel ripped off again. M$ stole our logo, and now Suse decide to
> > copy Ubuntu ! Not fair.
> >
> Stole the logo?  Who's logo?  I'm lost here.

See this thred from last week on this very list !
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2005-April/028714.html
See also on the Ubuntu forums...

> On the other hand, Ubuntu is a MUCH smaller download.

Yes, I like Ubuntu's concept much better. A small CD with a light-weight
yet fully functional desktop, and everything else availalble easily from
Synaptic if needed.

--
Vince