Changing video cards

John T. Moran jtmo3 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 10 02:00:41 UTC 2005

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 20:21 -0500, John T. Moran wrote:
>

>>I'm fairly new to Linux and am trying to change a video card. I am using
>>the onboard intel video on the MB and am trying to put in a gforce
>>fx5700. When I install the card and boot, the x server won't start. It
>>tells me something about the kernel and goes to a login prompt. I've
>>used other distros and when I have done something similar, it usually
>>pops up a screen during boot asking me about the hardware changes.
>>Ubuntu didn't do that and at this point I am kinda lost in how to change
>>out the card.
>>
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>>John Moran
>>

>You're still using the old driver, that's all.
>
>To fix it: run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and choose "nv" as
>the driver. Or install the "linux-restricted-modules-386"[1] package and
>choose "nvidia" as the driver to get 3D hardware acceleration from
>NVIDIA's binary drivers.
>
>     1. If you're installing something other than
>        "linux-image-2.6.10-5-i386" as your kernel, substituet the
>        'i386' with what you installed. In my case (I have an AMD
>        Sempron) I installed "linux-image-2.6.10-5-k7" and
>        "linux-restricted-modules-k7".
>
>Ziyad.

I'm running the i686-smp kernel. Can I run this reconfig using this
kernel and get 3d hardware acceleration? Would I need to then install
the drivers from nvidia after reconfiguring or will just reconfigure
take care of that?

Sorry for sounding stupid but I'm trying to learn the ins and outs.
Coming from windows, I'd just slap the card in, boot, install the
drivers and be done. I wish Ubuntu had a hardware detection during boot
that would handle this more automatically like other distros I've seen.
Sure would make life easier.

John Moran