root password

Jesper Krogh jesper at krogh.cc
Sat Apr 9 21:17:24 UTC 2005

I gmane.linux.ubuntu.user, skrev Chris Cothrun:
>  On Apr 9, 2005 8:06 AM, Dennis Kaarsemaker <dennis at kaarsemaker.net> wrote:
> > On za, 2005-04-09 at 15:55 +0100, Remus wrote:
> > > What is the root password?
> >
> > There is none.
> > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/RootSudo
>
>  I picked up the habit of using 'sudo su' (I think from knoppix) and
>  have continued doing this in Ubuntu. What are the differences between
>  doing this and the suggested 'sudo -s' from the Wiki  page? And, am I
>  going to run into issues in the future if I continue, or if I switch?

jesper at ibm:~$ sudo su
Password:
ibm:/home/jesper#

jesper at ibm:~$ sudo -s
root at ibm:~#

Primary difference.. the former doesn't give you a login shell thus the
environment is not updated in the same way.

sudo su -
and
sudo -s
is completely equivalent.

Jesper

./Jesper Krogh, jesper at krogh.cc, Jabber ID: jesper at jabbernet.dk
... der er blevet medlem af Free Software Foundation i denne uge:
https://www.fsf.org/associate/join/am_join_form1