Shrinking Windows Partition

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat Apr 9 01:10:32 UTC 2005

> A remainder:
> Before you shrink a Windows partition remember to defragment your Windows. Very
> often there are fragmented files containing data in the space on the end of the
> partition, and this data will be destroyed.

Problem being, that windows defragmentation tool is not reliable. Long
ago (when I was still using XP ie... ;-), I used the defragmentation
tool, and after 3 hours of what seemed like very hard work, it left me
with :

1) a contiguous block of files at the start of the disk
2) a large empty space
3) A 700MB "divx" movie file, split in 5 chuncks, at the very end of the
disk !!!!

Result : 3 hours wasted and no way to resize the partition -> I love
windows. ;-/

--
Vince, super happy with Linux/Ubuntu