Warty is tweaked just right. How long will it be supported?

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Fri Apr 8 15:01:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 07:32:51AM -0700, Mike Drabik wrote:
> However, even when Hoary becomes final
It just did :-) Which is why I'm not going to back any of this up with
references to the website - it's too slow at the moment to find them.

>However, if I can wait to upgrade to Hoary - then this begs the
>question: how long can I wait? Weeks? Months? Years? Forever?

You've got a year; each release is supposed to be supported (at least
with minimal security updates) for eighteen months from release, so
since Warty's six months old that leaves twelve to go.

There has been talk of releasing longer lived 'Enterprise' versions of
Ubuntu to help the commercial support business; there hasn't been one
yet but it's posible that if a Warty based one ever appears you could
upgrade/switch to that and have more than a year of support.
Alternatively it might not be too traumatic to take updates from Debian
Sarge if need be once the Warty support period is up.

Ewan