Customizing Ubuntu

Matthew S-H mathbymath at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 12:01:06 UTC 2005

There could be a "meta" package (like ubuntu-base) in Synaptic.  It
could depend on all the packages required for a default-ish kiosk, and
conflict with all packages that are not needed.  This would make it
easy for any business user to get to a default kiosk install.  He or
she could then modify it or customize it as neccessary (by removing
"kiosk-base" and installing any packages he or she might want).

Alternatively, it might be nice to have a "barebones-base" type of
package that simply removed all of the fancy extras in Ubuntu (but it
would leave Gnome).  This way, users with fast computers (enough for
Gnome) could install Ubuntu with little disk space.

~Matt