[off topic] apple iBooks + linux wireless (Linux on laptop and all FLOSS?]

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Fri Apr 8 12:47:09 UTC 2005

> Philippe Landau wrote:
>
>> Larry Grover wrote:

>>> My 800 MHz G3 iBook gives perfectly acceptable video playback, so I
>>> don't think this is a hardware issue.
>>

>> did you try with high resolution mpeg4 encoded movies ?
>> how much video ram does yours have ?
>>
>> kind regards     philippe

I don't know what you consider high resolution, but I just tried a
640x352, 29.97 fps, divx encoded video.  It played with no problems.

My iBook has 32 MBytes of video RAM, but this is not really relevant.

Now, I have experienced poor video playback in the past, but the problem
was not the iBook, rather it was one of the following:

(1) Inefficient software. I use mplayer, which I compiled myself from
source.  Vlc and xine (installed from the ubuntu apt repositories) are
definitely inferior, and often have poor playback.

(2) Audio problems.  I have no idea why, but for some reason, the
mplayer OSS output driver works better for me than the ALSA output
driver.  If I use the ALSA output driver, I sometimes get dropped frames.

(3) Poorly encoded videos or videos encoded with a codec which has poor
(or no) support under linux-PPC.

Regards,
Larry