gnome apps starting slowly (if at all)

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at spymac.com
Fri Apr 8 03:54:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 15:53 -0500, Drewcore wrote:
> now i'm beginning to think that it might be my partition order that's
> causing the problem... my usr partition is at the end of a 30gb
> drive... would that cause my programs to load slowly?

No one replayed to you within the last day, so here goes:
Try running (before doing this, read the whole message!):
        sudo hdparm -d 1 -m 16 -u 1 /dev/hda

Be warned that with some old IDE-controllers and hard-drives (or some
combination) that might corrupt your file-system! So do it after you
backup all your non-recoverable.
(The above code simply instructs hdparm to force turning DMA on, using
multi-sector transfers, and turning interrupt-unmask on which should
shift a lot of the overhead of reading/writing from the CPU.

Hope this helps (please replay if this didn't work).
Ziyad.