Developping Gnome apps : need general advise...

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Apr 7 23:55:07 UTC 2005

> I also suggest that you, as a starting point, leave the gui for now and
> begin with the serial port and read-out part.
> Have a look at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-Programming-HOWTO

THanks for the link, looks very useful.
I think I got a bit over-excited with the eye-candy of Glade.

I think I will start small and build up progressively :

1) make a simple CLI C program to experiment with the serial port ins
and outs.
2) extend this program with routines to read/write text files
3) Do the byte crunching with the data stream from the serial port, and
store the data properly, ready to be written to disk or displayed to the
user
4) add some kind of API so that I can "plug" user interfaces onto it.
5) make a pretty Gnome GUI

This way I will end up with a proper back-end, on which I can either
plug a pretty GUI for Ubuntu, but also use a simpler ncurses/text UI, as
I am likely to use this program on my old laptop which certainly can't
handle Gnome (old 486 DX2-66, 12MB RAM...), but hopefully should be able
to run the text UI in a virtual console.
Alos, the API will potentially allow other people to write a GUI of
their own, as they see fit, or port it to KDE or whatever they like.

Okay, let's read this serial howto then... :-)

--
Vince