audio/visual

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Thu Apr 7 16:30:56 UTC 2005

this is what the commandline shows:

tazio at rockarolla ~ $ mplayer
MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.5 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6,
Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
MMX2 supported but disabled
SSE supported but disabled
3DNow supported but disabled
3DNowExt supported but disabled
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX

installed is mplayer-k6.

the friendly gentoo guy is me, i used it till i found the
warty-preview.iso :) for instance if you compile mplayer on gentoo,
theres a message that says that cpu-optimizations are disabled cause the
mplayer-team refuses support if such things are disabled. i suspect this
is not specific to gentoo and applies to all distributions.
if xou happen to install mplayer on gentoo youll notive that viewing
fullscreen sucks cause all optimizations are dropped and mplayer eats
100%cpu while playing 10 frames/sec...

also lots of things mostly dont work with precompiled versions of
mplayer (for me at least). i never had a precompiled mplayer that
actually zooms the movie while window resizing, and so on...

and i DON'T run a selfcompiled mplayer cause im tired of compiling AND
totem-gstreamer with gstreamer-ffmpeg installed works like a charm :-P

ulrich

--
- ulrich