everyday multimedia not supported in Ubuntu (Re: 3 days from the release, 3 machines, a few issues.

Kenton Brede kbrede at nixnotes.org
Thu Apr 7 14:55:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:19:23PM -0400, Ed Sutherland (digital at twcny.rr.com) wrote:
> Kenton Brede wrote:
>
> >Reality is, if you don't like the way
> >something works in OSS, either learn out to tweak the config, or learn to
> >program.  Demanding and complaining rarely works.
> >
> I don't think the problem with OSS is lack of applications or
> programmers willing to do the job.
<snip>

I think you misunderstood my point.  The OP was complaining there was
no disclaimer on Ubuntu's opening page that proprietary formats weren't
supported.  My point was, if you don't like the way a program works or
how an OS works, I think there are a few civil choices you can make to
possibly resolve your problem.  You can ask nicely for someone to do the
work for you, pay them to do the work, or learn to do the work yourself.
To get angry and demand and complain about a program or OS that has been
freely given to you, seems less than gracious to me.  I'll get off my
soapbox now :)
Kent

--
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
  - Martin Luther King Jr.