Troubleshooting wireless configuration/setup

Christoph Georgi christoph.georgi at web.de
Thu Apr 7 06:19:49 UTC 2005

Hi,

a lot of people seem to have some problems with setting up their
wireless.. As Ubuntu's Wiki already supplies Howtos for setting up
wireless, I just want to add a small howto troubleshooting those
networks. (Maybe someone can parse it into the wiki.. I have not yet
bothered learning that. TIA)

1. Check whether the card (as a piece of hardware) can be seen: Type '$
lspci' and check whether your wifi card is present or not.

2. (esp. for notebooks) Look at the output of the messages ('$ tail -f
/var/log/messages') as you insert the PCMCIA card. Something should
happen. You should be able to see that the drivers are loaded or a
statement that the driver is already loaded.

3. Wireless extension: Type '$ iwconfig' and have a look whether there
is a wireless extension available on any network adapter; there should
be at least one if you have inserted a wireless card.

4. Bring up your wireless interface ('$ sudo ifup <interface>') and see
what happens. (For help on the mailing list, please post that output!)

If so far everything works, the card should send DHCP Requests to the
broadcast IP. If you have not got so far, you're most likely to have a
problem with your wireless card driver! And that's a problem by its own ;)

5. Have a look again at the output of '$ iwconfig'. The MAC address of
the Access Point be stated there in the first (?) line --> The card is
able to "see" the AP. (For help on the mailing list, please post the
output.)

6. WHAT MOST PEOPLE FORGET: Check whether the AP can "see" you! Log into
your AP and check the logfiles. The MAC of your wireless card should
appear there somewhere.

6.1 If this is not the case then you most likely have mismatching
wireless settings: Check '$ iwconfig' for "Rx invalid nwid" (wrong
ESSID), "Rx invalid crypt" (mismatching authentification method/key),
"Rx invalid frag" (I haven't got a clue). Usually they show up all
together, which should tell you to check your config!: Have a look at
/etc/network/interfaces (post the output for further inquiries) and
compare the settings to the configuration of your AP.

In case the settings don't match, change the interfaces file and change
the setting with the according iwconfig command (see '$ man iwconfig')

6.2 If your settings match, try another wireless card?! Sorry, I can't
help you :-/

7. If your card sees the AP and the AP sees you, you are likely to have
skrewed up something within your network, as this state compares to a
pluged-in wire where both interfaces (and the wire) work perfectly fine.

7.1 If you don't get an IP check your DHCP Server settings
(/etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf)

7.2 If you have an IP try pinging your Server to see whether the
connection is OK

7.3 If you can ping the server there must be a problem with your service
settings. But that has nothing to do anymore with your wireless (so I
can finally stop here) ;)

I hope that helps one or the other and might save me some time telling
people to check the Client MAC on the AP and to post the output of $
iwconfig ;)

regards
.christoph