Warty to Hoary migration?

Rich Rudnick nickrud at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 6 22:56:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 14:22 -0700, Rob deMallac wrote:
> hello all--
>
> I've got two drives in my PC at home, Warty on one and Hoary Array 7
> on the other.  What's the easiest way (short of burning dozens of CDs)
> to get data from one machine to the other?  I'm assuming the general
> form of the answer is to get one HD to mount while I'm booted into the
> other...
>
> In both cases, there's only one user ("rob") which probably both have
> UID 501 (or whatever the default is).
>
> I found nothing on ubuntuguide,org, so where's my next step... 'man
> fstab'?  The "Filesystems-HOWTO" in TLDP.org?  Not a total newbie, not
> too scared of the command-line, just need to know which Fine Manual to
> Read!  ;-)

If you're like me (not even a semi-pro sys admin), here's a recipe I
picked up a while back for just this purpose; I used it last when I
began trifling with ubuntu and wanted easy access to my debian
configuration for comparison purposes.

Assuming your warty install is on hda1, and it's formatted as ext3:

create a mount point:

  sudo mkdir /warty

add the warty partition to your /etc/fstab (while protecting oneself
from newbiesque activities :)

  sudo echo "/dev/hda1 /warty ext3 ro,noexec 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

and mount it:

  sudo mount -a

As an exercise, try installing hoary gold when it arrives and setting up
both your warty and hoary unstable as archive partitions. (When
something goes wrong, triangulation can be a godsend :)

Me, I'll be installing hoary as soon as it's released, and setting up
both my old debian and my current hoary as archive partitions. I've got
some weird bugs, and would like to sweep a bunch under the rug.